Our primary vision as a staff is to build your confidence in our ability to provide the best possible experience for your children this summer! Developing positive relationships grounded in a welcoming attitude, enthusiasm, and genuine care and respect for one another is what we strive for most.
The Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District sets high standards for all our staff. We carefully select the best of the best to be a part of Camp Fair Oaks. When selecting our staff, we give high priority to applicants with the best ability to contribute to each child’s positive camp experience. Our staff consists primarily of college students and exceptionally skilled high school students. Learn more about us and how to apply for a counselor or lead position below!
qualities of a good camp counselor
The counselors we look for are dedicated to camp and excited about the opportunity of working in a team-based environment with other staff to provide a positive summer camp experience for kids. Some of the qualities we expect in them include:
- A positive, courteous and enthusiastic attitude with the children, parents and camp personnel in day to day activities;
- The ability to prepare, lead and participate in recreational activities, both active and passive, for school-age children such as games, sports, arts and crafts, field trips, and songs;
- Maturity in developing relationships with parents, children, camp staff and Recreation Supervisor;
- Attention to detail in maintaining a safe environment for everyone involved; and,
- Accountability in following all District policies and procedures.
- Minimum Education required: High School Diploma or GED required; college course work in recreation or related area preferred.
- Minimum Experience required: One (1) year of progressively responsible experience in a children’s day care program or recreational day camp program or equivalent experience in a leadership and program planning role required. Experience working with school age children and a demonstrated commitment to bettering the lives of youth required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required: Knowledge of recreational activities appropriate for school age children. Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, children, parents, and volunteers. Leadership and organizational skills. Ability to use independent judgment and take appropriate action to ensure the safety of children and staff. Ability to deal with emergencies and stressful situations.
- Other requirements: Possession of Pediatric CPR/First Aid certification prior to the start of Summer Camp. All applicants must be fingerprinted and pass pre-employment background check. Reliable transportation to and from work.
In order to learn about District and Camp policies, procedures and expectations, our camp staff attends extensive training and orientation beginning in early summer to prepare them for camp. Trainings include how to effectively teach activities, how to facilitate group leadership, safety trainings, positive discipline techniques, and other important skills relating to working with children. In addition, each staff member has current certification in Infant/Child/Adult CPR and Standard First Aid, and cleared a background (fingerprint) check done by the Department of Justice.
If at any time you have a concern about a leader, or how camp is going please contact the Camp Director, Alisha Koehn.
ALISHA KOEHN | CAMP DIRECTOR
My experience with Camp Fair Oaks and what I love most about it:
I joined Camp Fair Oaks in 2017 as the Camp Director. I love getting to work so closely with children ages 5-12 and help mentor and prepare our CITs for future opportunities later in life.
Contact me for questions or concerns related to:
- Day-to-day procedures and activities
- Camper behavior management strategies
- On-site staff oversight
- Field trip procedures and management
- Accessing secure ePact-related documents on-site
- Camper safety
CHELSEY ADAMS | RECREATION SUPERVISOR
MY EXPERIENCE WITH CAMP FAIR OAKS AND WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT IT:
"I joined Camp Fair Oaks in 2009 as a Recreation Leader and went on to become the Camp Director for three summers from 2012-2015. What I love most about Camp Fair Oaks is that it reminds me of all the fun memories as a kid attending camp and all the great friends I made."
CONTACT ME FOR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS RELATED TO:
- Registration, payments & refunds
- ePact Emergency Network enrollment
- General feedback and questions about the program
- Staff training and preparation