Now more than ever is a time to come together in the spirit of community to overcome our challenges and maintain our relationships. Although we are social distancing physically, as humans we need to stay connected emotionally. Try one or two of these today!
NEW EVENT! SAN DIEGO CHILDREN'S DISCOVERY MUSEUM
- Virtual Fun Animal Friday: Python & Gecko - Friday, February 27th from 10:00-10:30 AM PST
- Meet two of the inhabitants of Thailand - a leopard gecko and Burmese python - in a fun, interactive LIVE session!
- Acadia National Park (Maine)
- Arches National Park (Utah)
- Badlands National Park (South Dakota)
- Big Bend National Park (Texas)
- Bryce Canyon National Park (Utah)
- Canyonlands National Park (Utah)
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Ohio)
- Channel Islands National Park (California)
- Death Valley National Park (California & Nevada)
- Denali National Park (Alaska)
- Dry Tortugas National Park (Florida)
- Everglades National Park (Florida)
- Glacier National Park (Montana)
- Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona)
- Grand Teton National Park (Wyoming)
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park (North Carolina & Tennessee)
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park (Texas)
- Gunnison National Park (Colorado)
- Joshua Tree National Park (California)
- Mesa Verde National Park (Colorado)
- Mount Rainier National Park (Washington)
- Olympic National Park (Washington)
- Redwood National Park (California)
- Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado)
- Sequoia National Park (California)
- Shenandoah National Park (Virginia)
- Virgin Islands National Park (US Virgin Islands)
- Wind Cave National Park (South Dakota)
- Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming, Montana & Idaho)
- Yosemite National Park (California)
- Zion National Park (Utah)
Museums & More
Online Educational Resources
- Ed2Go – Browse through a wide variety of online classes, seminars, and workshops.
- Sacramento Public Library Ebooks & Audiobooks – Borrow up to 35 titles from 1000s available.
- Visit one of many museums around the world through their virtual tours.
- Work on Mindfulness - Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media.
VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
- Daily Doodle lessons by Mo Willems.
- FreeKidsCrafts - Lots of categories of idea, templates and print outs.
- Crafts by Amanda - Free arts and crafts ideas
- Online digital coloring pages at www.thecolor.com.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - A wonderful, endlessly detailed way to get kids engaged in the world of art.
- Artsology - Helps kids learn to appreciate the arts by providing them with the opportunity to play games, conduct investigations, and explore different forms of art.
- Kids Think Design - Explores careers in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, book design, product design, film and theatre, architecture, animation, and environmental design.
STEM AND EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Splash Math – Supplement your K-5 child’s math curriculum with this great online program!
- Sacramento Public Library Early Learning Resources
- Bed Time Math - Math as a fun part of your daily family routine
- ECB - Games to get "into the book"
- Conjuguemos - Vocabulary, grammar, listening activities and games in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Korean, and Latin.
- Instructables - 3D printing projects and Coding projects, involving math and other K-12 subjects
- Science Spot - Science projects that can be completed with or without Internet access
- The Happy Scientist - Just explore, have fun, and learn some science along the way.
- Climate Kids - This NASA initiative covers a wide range of topics including weather, climate, atmosphere, water, energy, plants, and animals.
- PBS Learning- PreK-12 digital media service with more than 30,000 learning materials
- Quizlet - For students to practice and master whatever they are learning.
- Brainscape - Offers over a million flashcard decks for every subject, entrance exam, and certification imaginable.
- Banzai - Exposes students to real-world financial dilemmas to teach them the importance of smart money management.
- 30 Educational Netflix Shows - List of educational shows on Netflix for all ages.
For All Ages
- All Kids Network - Crafts, activities, mazes, dot to dot, etc.
- Highlights Kids - Fun games, recipes, crafts, activities.
- Maker Stations - 3 Free Weeks of Maker Stations to keep your children creating at home! Each challenge includes simple instructions using materials around the house, QR code video resources, and a student recording sheet.
- Nomster Chef - Illustrated recipes designed to help kids age 2-12 cook with their grown-ups. Recipes encourage culinary skills, literacy, math, and science.
- Narwhal & Jelly Books - Check out their Facebook page for live drawing lessons.
FOR ALL AGES
- Call or video chat a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Write a letter.
- Support a local restaurant - Many restaurants are still open for take out or delivery orders.
- Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep.
FOR THE KIDs
- Hold a virtual play date through video chat.
- Teach a young person how to write and send a letter.
- Overcoming Obstacles - Free life skills curriculum for students in grades K-12. Their resources include strategies for teaching social and emotional skills.
WORKING AND TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN FROM HOME
- A Better Way to Homeschool - A quick start resource to help families pull together a plan for surviving the next 1-2 months at home with their kids, but it can also be a time of slowing down and enjoying kids as they learn. Preschool through 8th grade.
- Tips for Working from Home - Advice from PC Magazine for those who are able to work from home.
Videos for You
Nimbus Fish Hatchery | Earth Day 2020 Tour
Butterfly Painting with Miss Alisha
Connect with our Preschool teacher for a great painting project. Share your creations with us using #FairOaksThrivesInside!