Fair Oaks Youth Advisory Board
To allow youth the opportunity to provide advice, recommendations, special events, programs, and information to the Community of Fair Oaks and surrounding areas.
FOYAB, organized and supported by the Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District, is a youth oriented program designed to foster leadership skills while providing programs and events that benefit the residents in the community.
FOYAB serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors and is designed to give the youth of Fair Oaks and the Sacramento area input into the District, its related functions and its programs. They are empowered by the District Board and Park District staff to assume responsibility for certain activities throughout the year.
Mary Stoakley | firstname.lastname@example.org | (916) 536-6305
Our students come from high school and middle schools in and around Fair Oaks. The Board is comprised of:
- One elected Chair (President)
- One elected Vice Chair
- One elected Secretary
- One elected Programming Officer
- The Youth Commissioners (FOYAB & Jr. FOYAB Members)
What We Do
Our Youth Commissioners work together to accomplish these tasks:
- Review issues relating to programs and services for children and youth.
- Provide recreational programs and events to bring families within the community together.
- Strengthen community image and sense of place through events & programs.
- Create a forum for discussions with children, youth, and their families.
- Advocate for services and programs for children and youth.
- Make recommendations for programs, policies, and any necessary legislation to promote the health and well-being of children, youth, and their families.
- Work with both the public and private sector to bring forth the concerns of children and youth, as well as, evaluate programming that will enhance the development of children and youth.
The Fair Oaks Youth Advisory Board will be looking for at least 21 qualified high school applicants to fill position as Youth Commissioners for the 2023-2024 term.
- 8/24/23 - Application materials due via email to email@example.com by 5:00PM
- 8/25/2023 - Applicants selected and contacted to schedule interviews
- 8/29/2023 - Interviews & speech presentations
- Please note: Interviews will by held in-person and attendance is required
- 8/30/2023 - FOYAB Members selected and notified
- 9/5/2023 - First FOYAB Meeting & Membership Dues Deadline (Attendance is MANDATORY if selected to participate)
Application MUST be submitted per directions located on application. No in- person, mailed, or drop-box applications will be accepted. If you are unable to access and fill an electronic application, please contact the Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (916) 536-6305.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered. After application has been received you will be contacted to set up an interview.
The Scholarship was established in honor of Rachel Anne Gray who passed away September 2nd, 2012 at the age of 21. Rachel was a resident of Fair Oaks and a member of FOYAB from 2006 through 2008. Rachel graduated from Bella Vista High School in 2008 and received her degree in International Business from California State University, Sacramento. Rachel was a valued member of the Fair Oaks community, who made a huge impact on young leaders, the community and the Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District staff. Rachel enjoyed being outside, working with the community, and living life to its fullest each day.
Four awards, in the amount of $1,500, $1,000, $500 & $250 are given annually to deserving high school Seniors only. FORPD and FOYAB are proud to host this scholarship program to acknowledge young people who are committed to community and school service and who seek positive solutions to critical problems and issues today’s young people face.